Traveling with an HCU VISA card? For a great experience, please Contact HCU First.
Are you taking a vacation soon? Whether traveling in the USA or going out of the country please be sure to notify Heartland Credit Union's VISA Card Department of your plans and ensure we have your cell phone numbers.
Three important reasons why:
FRAUD MONITORING - HCU has fraud monitoring in place on both VISA Credit and Debit cards. This is a free service to you as an HCU cardholder. Card Services Fraud Monitoring will detect any unusual activity and then will try to contact you. Transactions taking place out of your normal area could prompt a phone call. Thus the need for updated phone and cell phone numbers.
BLOCKED COUNTRIES - There are several countries that we have blocked; your card will not work in those countries unless prior arrangements have been made. They are China, Romania, Nigeria, Bulgaria, Thailand and Saudi Arabia. These countries are blocked in order to protect your HCU account from fraud.
If you are traveling to one of these countries, you can have the country temporarily unblocked by calling our card services and providing the following:
- Travel Dates
- Any additional contact information that we may use. (ex. Cell phone number or email address)
Note: The countries of Cuba, Sudan, Iran and Myanmar are also blocked by VISAÂ® USA, and cards cannot be used in those countries at all.
RESTRICTED STATES - From time to time, certain states have restrictions on card use due to higher levels of fraud in their area. If traveling out of state, you may contact our card center for a current list of states and their restrictions.
Keep in mind:
- Card Services Fraud Monitoring already knows your card information.
- Card Services Fraud Monitoring will never try to sell you anything.
- Card Services Fraud Monitoring representatives can only handle flagged transactions; but they can block your card at your request.
- Card Services Fraud Monitoring cannot assist with card limits or other situations; you will need to contact HCU directly.
There are also other ways to help HCU better protect you and your credit:
- Ensure that your correct phone number is on your HCU member account.
- Provide cell phone numbers to HCU as backup numbers.
- Notify HCU when traveling in USA or internationally.
- Notify HCU prior to out-of-the-ordinary purchase; like LARGE purchases from an Internet business.
- Never give a caller your full card number and information if you are unsure of their connection to HCU.