Know what you need.
We’ll check this list twice before buying your home.
Important home-buying documents
Our Real Estate Loan Consultants work to make your home buying process simple, and there are several things we’ll need to make your dream a reality. We’ve created this Home Loan Document Checklist to help you know what you’ll need to get your first home loan.
It's the Heartland Way.
EMPLOYMENT, INCOME AND DEBT
We’ll need to know what your income is and how you earn it to calculate how much you can afford.
- Two most recent pay stubs
- Two most recent W-2s or federal tax returns (if self-employed or receive a commission)
- Additional income sources, e.g., social security, pension or retirement award letters (if applicable)
ASSETS + DOWN PAYMENT SOURCES
In addition to your income, we’ll need information on your assets and down payment.
- Two months of bank statements for checking and savings accounts
- Retirement account statement dated within the last 90 days
- A copy of the sales contract if selling property.
- Gift letter(s) with supporting documents, including a deposit receipt (if applicable)
YOUR NEW HOME DETAILS
After we have all of your assets and down payment information, we need to get information on your new home.
- A copy of the accepted and signed purchase agreement
- Termite, well and septic inspections, typically ordered by your real estate agent
- Insurance quote for your new home
Every situation is unique and we may require additional documents, which might include:
- Divorce decree
- Bankruptcy paperwork
- Child support/alimony and proof of children’s ages
THE MOST IMPORTANT TIP
If you think we’ll need the document, then you’re probably right. Being able to provide all documentation up front will ensure a quick, efficient and smooth closing.